Thursday 22 May 2014

Self Portraits are NOT Selfies

Sure, I take selfies from time to time, but I also take self portraits.  Oh, how I wish the difference had to be understood by people before they were allowed access to Instagram and Twitter.  

At first, I thought self portraits would get rather self-indulgent.  I only wanted to show the pretty side of myself at first.  But then I realized that a self portrait is unique in that it can capture, if done well, every nuance of what makes you "you".  

I consider myself to be a feminine woman.  With a tomboy side.  And a little bit of badass.  Depending on my mood, my portraits reflect these parts of me.  I've been haunting thrift shops for wigs (yeah, I know, germs) and interesting costumes and props.  I don't intend to be the next Cindy Sherman but she must have had a ton of fun making the photos she made.

Here are a few of mine.  Comments and critique certainly welcome.  I'm just an amateur, pretending to know a thing or two.











No comments:

Post a Comment