Sunday 19 August 2012

Bookyard: An Outdoor Library/ Art Installation by Massimo Bartolini


I love the idea of a community library where people can leave a book, take a book, or just peruse the shelves.  I love public libraries, don't get me wrong, but there is something about book ownership that makes life oh so sweet. 

On that note, I just came across this outdoor library on the design blog ColossalIt's an art installation called Bookyard designed and built by Italian artist Massimo Bartolini for the Belgian art festival TRACK: A Contemporary City Conversation.   It resides on the grounds of St Peter's Abbey Vineyard, surrounded by grape vines and old trees.  At the Bookyard, you put a donation in a drop box and become the owner of whatever book suits your fancy. 

Bookyard is a temporary installation, ending on September 16, 2012.   It serves as a fundraiser for the public libraries of Ghent and Antwerp.  It is art meeting design meeting function meeting community.  It's beautiful.  I wish I have some vacation time coming up!

No comments:

Post a Comment